WSU Student Found Dead In A Room Authorities Reveal The Identity

Publish date: 2024-05-07

WSU Student found dead in a dorm room on January 22, 2023, is identified as Luke Morgan Tyler.

According to the Whitman County Coroner’s Office, Luke Morgan Tyler, a 19-year-old Redmond resident, was found dead in his dorm room on Sunday. Tyler was a freshman at Washington State University. 

According to a press release from Whitman County Coroner Annie Pillers, the cause of death has not yet been revealed. 

Around 1:30 pm on Sunday, a male student was discovered dead at Perham Hall on the WSU campus in Pullman, according to Assistant Chief Dawn Daniels of the WSU police. 

According to Daniels, the probe has not yet identified any evidence of wrongdoing.

The student who passed away over the weekend was a member of the Greek community on campus, according to an email issued to WSU sorority and fraternity members by Erin Lasher, assistant director of the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life. 

The authorities don’t suspect foul play but are still investigating Tyler’s death.

Tyler’s high school acquaintance Emmelie Frausing revealed that he was a Theta Chi fraternity member. 

By Wednesday night, a petition started by some of Tyler’s friends asking that Theta Chi be looked into in relation to Tyler’s death had nearly 8,000 signatures.

The WSU Interfraternity Council, which is in charge of the university’s fraternal groups, declined to comment. 

The same group of friends started a GoFundMe fundraiser to pay for the Tyler family’s funeral expenses, and as of Wednesday night, it had raised more than $5,000.

On Wednesday, WSU Pullman Chancellor Elizabeth Chilton released a statement on Tyler’s death, reading in part:

I continue to be heartbroken over the weekend student death in a residence hall on our campus. The loss of a member of our Cougar family creates a tremendous loss for all of us, and I want to extend my deepest condolences to the student’s family, friends, classmates, and fellow Cougs.

In the tragic case of any student death, WSU has a strict protocol to follow with procedures that were put in place out of respect for the families and the investigative process. Arguably the most important element of this protocol is the direct outreach from our Dean of Students Office to the family and friends of the decedent. I’m very thankful for the incredible work and ongoing support services our Dean of Students provided in this case.

WSU Pullman will release information about the individual when details have been coordinated with the family and the Whitman County Coroner’s Office. We will always maintain high respect for the families and the investigative process and will not disclose any information that could inadvertently disrupt this process.

I understand that a lack of information during trying times often leads to confusion and questions. I urge everyone to avoid speculation about this incident so the investigation may proceed unimpeded. We anticipate the coroner’s office will release more information, including the cause and manner of death, in the coming weeks.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunDD0q5krKylmbKvwIyfpq6mlGKxpq3DZqCnZZFiv7C7zGg%3D